Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Torture Redefinitions As Nauseam


A frustrated President Bush explains to the press his new torture policy. "A finger is not, I repeat not an organ." In 2002 the Bush/Cheney team defined torture as any technique that produces pain equal to a serious physical injury, such as "organ failure, impairment of bodily function or even death." An attorney involved in developing this policy is a candidate for the CIA's top lawyer.

"As with most legal memos, my reaction was it was an aggressive, expansive reading," John Rizzo said. "But I can't say I had any specific objections to any specific parts of it."

Later, the Justice Department backed away from the position. Mr. Rizzo remained nonplussed.

After nearly two years, the Justice Department disavowed the document in 2004. Rizzo said he agreed with the conclusion reached then, that the language appeared "overbroad." But asked if he wished he had spoken up about its contents, Rizzo said no.

"I can't honestly sit here today and say I should have objected," he said.

So Mr. Rizzo is paid not to share his opinions. That fits with the top down, heavy handed Bush Cheney bleedership style.

No comments: