Monday, January 15, 2007

Real Reason Rep. Mike Conaway Won’t Answer My Question?

My local newspaper revealed the reason Rep. Mike Conaway hasn’t responded to my question about the government’s response post Hurricane Katrina. It said the Concho Valley’s U.S. representative has “an office in political Siberia”. My letters must be encased in a permanent block of ice. That fits with the cold shoulder from Frances Townsend, the White House’s Homeland Security Advisor on the same issue.

I’d hoped my letter to the editor in the San Angelo Standard Times would prompt a reply from Conaway or his Senatorial counterparts, John Cornyn or Kay Bailey Hutchison. Sure they send form letters on tangential topics but not once did either Senator weigh in directly. The reason for my hope was Congressman Conaway’s response to a later letter on the Military Commissions Act of 2006. His reply came within 25 minutes and despite assurances from the head of the editorial page, my piece never ran.

Now I know a smaller version of Siberia exists in the offices of the Standard Times. They at least published the question in September 2006. For those curious it was:

“Why did The Carlyle Group's LifeCare Hospitals’ 24 patient deaths post Hurricane Katrina receive not one mention in the White House’s Lessons Learned report?”

Brrrrr……Mike’s teeth must be chattering!

No comments: