Friday, February 09, 2007

Money Has More Free Speech Rights than Citizens

Did you know that most Congressional representatives restrict e-mail correspondence to people who live within their district? I tried to send Representative Duncan Hunter a note after he suggested we “defended Japan” during World War II. I felt the need to remind him of Pearl Harbor, Hiroshima and Nagasaki. My e-mail ended up in my Representative’s mailbox given this widespread practice.

Does Mr. Hunter accept checks from businesses outside his district? Does he serve on any committees with a national focus? While I am unaware of Duncan Hunter’s campaign portfolio, I researched a leading Senator’s last fall given my interest in health care. Senator Max Baucus from Montana accepts campaign donations from 8 for profit healthcare companies with no facilities in his state.

Does this mean checks have more free speech rights than people? When they say money talks, I’m afraid they may be right…

No comments: